This document derives its name from the verb “lade” which means to load cargo onto a ship, today this term extends to all forms of transportation. A bill of lading is a document issued by the carrier or freight forwarder to the consignor(the shipper of the goods) as a signed acknowledgement that the specified goods have been received as cargo for shipment to the consignee(the party receiving the goods). It serves as evidence that a carriage contract exists between two parties for the carriage of the named goods to and from the named locations. A bill of lading is considered “clean” if the goods have been received and stowed for transport in good condition.
What information must be on a bill of lading?
Bills of lading issued by a carrier or freight forwarder must include the following:
1. Names of consignor and consignee (Business and contact names when applicable)
2. Physical address of origin and destination points
3. Number of pallets, crates, boxes, etc.
4. Freight description
5. Weight, volume, or measurement of freight
6. Freight class
CheapShipping.com bill of ladings also include:
1. Special shipping instructions (i.e.: reference numbers required at pick up, or hours of operation at either location)
2. Accessorials- Any extra services provided by the carrier (i.e.: lift gate service or residential delivery)
3. The phone numbers for the carrier’s terminals at the origin and destination
4. Third- party billing information
Why is it important to use the CheapShipping.com bill of lading?
There are two main reasons why it is important to use the bill of lading CheapShipping.com provides our customers:
1. This will insure that CheapShipping.com is billed for the shipment.
2. Using the issued bill of lading will eliminate confusion for the carrier and shipper by confirming the correct shipment is being shipped by the correct carrier to the correct destination.
Sometimes shippers create their own bill of lading, which causes confusion for all parties involved. Using the bill of lading we send you will save time and money. We generate the document and all you have to do is print it and hand it to the carrier at pick-up!